Hi, my name is Steve Baek. I’m an applied geometer, professor, and entrepreneur interested in geometric data analysis. At the intersection of differential geometry and machine learning, I develop mathematical representations and algorithms for quantifying trends and patterns across geometric objects. My current and past research spans a variety of interdisciplinary subjects including analysis of geometric patterns in physical/biological phenomena (e.g. microstructure morphology of energetic materials, linkage between tumoral/peritumoral geometry and cancer outcome), statistical human body shape analysis, observation-based assessment of human performance/ergonomics, etc. I’ve been serving as a principal investigator of a variety of research projects sponsored by the National Science Foundation, U.S. Air Force, NASA, Department of Transportation, Hyundai Motor Company, and others.
I received my B.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering from Seoul National University (SNU) in 2009 and 2013, respectively, both with the best thesis honor. I received the National Science and Engineering Scholarship and the Global Ph.D. Fellowship from the Korean Ministry of Education during my studies. Until 2015, I was a postdoc at the Institute of Advanced Machines and Design at SNU, during which I was awarded Presidential Postdoc Fellowship by the President of the Republic of Korea. I moved to the United States in 2015 to join the University of Iowa. Since then, I serve as an Assistant Professor of Industrial and Systems Engineering at the University of Iowa, with courtesy appointments in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Radiation Oncology, and Applied Mathematical and Computational Sciences. I direct the Visual Intelligence Laboratory and a member of the National Advanced Driving Simulator. I’m also CTO and co-founder of Inseer, Inc., an Iowa-based startup specializing in computer vision and artificial intelligence.
Outside of my professional work, I love playing baseball and tennis. I played in 2012 SNU League All-Star Games as a first baseman. I also enjoy photography and graphic design.
Ph.D. Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Seoul National University, Korea, 2013.
Thesis: Nonlinear Analysis of the Space of Human Body Shapes and Its Application to Parametric Human Modeling System (Best Thesis Award, Grand Prize from the ‘Society of CAD/CAM Engineers Graduate Thesis Awards’)
B.S. Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Seoul National University, Korea, 2009.
Thesis: A Modeling Method for 3D Face Model Using Single 2D Front-View Image (Best Thesis Honor)
Honors & Awards
- Defense Innovation Award from Defense TechConnect Innovation Summit and Expo, 2020.
- Old Gold Fellowship from the University of Iowa, 2018.
- Best Paper Award from International Conference on Maintenance and Rehabilitation of Constructed Infrastructure Facilities, 2017.
- Most Cited Articles in Computer-Aided Design since 2011, Elsevier, 2016.
- Best Paper Award from 2015 Annual Conference of the Society of CAD/CAM Engineers, 2015.
- Best Paper Award from 2014 Summer Conference of the Society of CAD/CAM Engineers, 2014.
- Bronze Prize from 15th Korea CAD/CAM Software Competition, 2014.
- Grand Prize from the 1st Delcam Korea & the Society of CAD/CAM Engineers Best Graduate Thesis Awards, 2014.
- Best Paper Award from 2014 Annual Conference of the Society of CAD/CAM Engineers, 2014.
- Best Student Paper from 2014 Annual Conference of the Society of CAD/CAM Engineers, 2014.
- Best Ph.D. Thesis from the School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at Seoul National University, 2014.
- Presidential Postdoc Fellowship from the President of Republic of Korea, 2013–2015.
- Top 25 Hottest Articles Published in Computer-Aided Design in 2012, Elsevier, 2012.
- Bronze Prize from 13th Korea CAD/CAM Software Competition, 2012.
- Global Ph.D. Fellowship from the Korean Ministry of Education, 2011–2013.
- Best Paper of the Year from Transactions of the Society of CAD/CAM Engineers, 2011.
- Best Paper of the Year from Transactions of the Society of CAD/CAM Engineers, 2010.
- Bronze Medal from 2009 Korea Software Awards, 2010.
- Best Bachelor’s Thesis from the School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at Seoul National University, 2008.
- Outstanding Design Award from Seoul National University Robot Competition, 2008.
- Best Product Development Award from Seoul National University CAD/CAM Contest, 2007.
- Award for Appreciation in 2007 School Retreat Program from the School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at Seoul National University, 2007.
- Outstanding Design Award from Seoul National University Mechanical Design Contest, 2005.
- National Science and Engineering Scholarship from the Korean Ministry of Education, 2005-2009.
Click here to view full CV.
A comprehensive list of my publications is available here